McFarland White Ranch logo
Home Button History button Photo Gallery button Directions button Contact Us button
The Real West..    
Snuggled up against the Crazy Mountains and sweeping down into the Musselshell River Valley, the McFarland White Ranch is a three generation family operation.

In 1889, Gib McFarland, the original proprietor, wintered in the main "Cook House" on the present day ranch. As legend has it, this was a rather shady place, an outlaw stop on a rustling trail.

In the spring of 1890, Gib went to Missouri where he married his longtime sweetheart, Lanie Kavaungh. Later Gib and Lanie returned to Montana. Before the McFarland White Ranch was purchased, Gib worked for the 79 Ranch. This was a big open range outfit running from Big Coulee, near Ryegate, Montana all the way to the Jordan Mountain area. In 1902 the McFarlands bought their first cattle and the quarter circle HE brand from a Minnesota man, Henry Elliston. Directly following the birth of their only child, Mary, the McFarlands acquired the original ranch house,
  where Gib had stayed the winter of 1889-90, and some nearby land. During Mary's summers working at Yellowstone Park, she met Pete White. In 1932 they were married.

Today, Mac White, Pete and Mary's youngest son, operates McFarland White Ranch. Under his direction the ranch uses all of its own resources in supplying hay, barley and grass to feed the commercial cattle herd. Mac has steadily guided the ranch, building a profitable commercial operation while carefully preserving some of the most pristine land in the western United States.

Now the legendary McFarland White Ranch offers you the chance to visit this remarkable range and see for yourself the vistas that made even leather hard cowboys pause and take a second look.